X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

B-M. I am afraid that I left the installer to do that bit on his own so I can't help - sorry.

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
      Having now followed Paul's advice and deleted the CH wireless relay etc, I am now even more confused. There is now no mention of anything to do with the boiler in the System Menus - so no settings for boiler cycle rate, minimum time etc. Both HW and CH are working fine.
      With an s-plan system, conventionally wired, there is no control over cycle rate, minimum on time, etc.

You only get those with a boiler relay. it's a silly limitation, really. I can't see any reason that we can't have those parameters, even when the boiler is being fired off the back of the control valves.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
        With an s-plan system, conventionally wired, there is no control over cycle rate, minimum on time, etc.

You only get those with a boiler relay. it's a silly limitation, really. I can't see any reason that we can't have those parameters, even when the boiler is being fired off the back of the control valves.
        Thanks Paul. I learn something new every day about this system.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

Just looked at Richard's video for the Hot Water kit and clearly saw that a new menu appears only after the HW sensor has been paired (so I definitely need that). It then shows how the two BDRs are paired.

I think for people who don't use the HW kit you can use the Boiler Demand Wireless Relay in the System Devices menu to trigger the CH zone valve so that it opens whenever there is Heating demand. The zone valve can then trigger the boiler via a wired connection in the junction box.

OK so (Finally) back to Opentherm!

Can I use the Hot Water configuration menus to open up the HW or CH zone valves as required. And then let the OpenTherm bridge handle the Boiler firing independently to the zone valve openings.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
            Site Sponsor
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
            OK so (Finally) back to Opentherm!

Can I use the Hot Water configuration menus to open up the HW or CH zone valves as required. And then let the OpenTherm bridge handle the Boiler firing independently to the zone valve openings.
            Exactamondo!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2014

Brilliant.

So 4 pages of posts only to realise that Honeywell have put the S Plan HW/CH zone valve configuration under "Hot Water" which doesn't appear until you actually have a HW sensor!

Comment

• roydonaldson
                Automated Home Guru
                • Jan 2013

Yeah, EvoHome really needs some deployment application notes created for it. The guide it comes with is really bad, it shows you how to configure stuff, it has the diagrams for the different system types, it tells you there is guided config.

But, no where does it actually link any of the above together.

I should have app notes for deployment, ie. In a S-Plan system, do a factory reset, then enter Guided config, select Hot Water and then 2 2-port Valves and bind BDR91's. Do all this with pictures on it and then show a picture of the System Status menu to show what it should look like when done.

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

I think the options are there in Guided Configuration, aren't they?

But the supported S-Plan configuration includes the how water sensor.

I'm not surprised that you hit problems if you don't follow the book.

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by roydonaldson View Post
                    Yeah, EvoHome really needs some deployment application notes created for it. The guide it comes with is really bad, it shows you how to configure stuff, it has the diagrams for the different system types, it tells you there is guided config.

But, no where does it actually link any of the above together.

I should have app notes for deployment, ie. In a S-Plan system, do a factory reset, then enter Guided config, select Hot Water and then 2 2-port Valves and bind BDR91's. Do all this with pictures on it and then show a picture of the System Status menu to show what it should look like when done.
                    the notes you describe are available as part of the online training course? they are certainly provided on the face to face installer training course. please bear in mind that evohome is fundamentally a product for professional trade installers.

evohome can be applied in a variety of ways and as long as you follow guided configuration (and crucially answer the questions carefully) and refer to section 3 of the manual to bind the devices all should become clear.

hope this helps explain why the product is the way it is.
                    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• top brake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2015

Brilliant.

So 4 pages of posts only to realise that Honeywell have put the S Plan HW/CH zone valve configuration under "Hot Water" which doesn't appear until you actually have a HW sensor!

I did my best to try to explain this at post #53

Comment

• roydonaldson
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                        the notes you describe are available as part of the online training course? they are certainly provided on the face to face installer training course. please bear in mind that evohome is fundamentally a product for professional trade installers.

evohome can be applied in a variety of ways and as long as you follow guided configuration (and crucially answer the questions carefully) and refer to section 3 of the manual to bind the devices all should become clear.

hope this helps explain why the product is the way it is.
                        I've had a try at putting something together. I'm in the office so don't have a controller to hand to pull more screen shots from. But, do app notes such as:

exist then ?

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                          I did my best to try to explain this at post #53
                          Now when I read it again, you are right you did! Infact both HW and CH zone valves are configured in the Hot Water configuration set-up in evohome. That's the bit that threw me a bit.

I also made some progress as to why both me and my trained installer couldn't work out how to install the HW Kit on my Vaillant Unistor. As it happens, I have one of the earlier versions of the Vaillant Unistor that doesn't have a free dry pocket for the NTC sensor, as shown in Vaillant's own instruction manuals. Instead I need to remove the cylinder controls completely and that frees up a dry pocket that I should be able to use for the Honeywell HW kit. Guess where I found that out, in the Vaillant VR65 manual. I went there only because I wondered how Vaillant themselves used an NTC probe as part of their boiler and cylinder eBUS configuration.

Now the only open question is whether my UK Vaillant boiler will recognise the Dutch Vaillant Opentherm module VR33. That's on it's way to me now. So only time will tell.

Can either Stuart or top brake tell me how they confirmed if Opentherm was working between the boiler and the OT Bridge?

Comment

• top brake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Feb 2015

VR33 installed.jpg

Now the only open question is whether my UK Vaillant boiler will recognise the Dutch Vaillant Opentherm module VR33. That's on it's way to me now. So only time will tell.

Can either Stuart or top brake tell me how they confirmed if Opentherm was working between the boiler and the OT Bridge?
                            the flow temperature when in heating mode will be lower (leave a week and you should see 54 degC, leave a few more weeks and you should see 46 degC) and the flame icon smaller :-)

the instructions supplied will literally be double dutch but the VR33 is pretty easy to install, plug and play. I have a few pics to help you

Fit board into slot on left
                            Fit patch cable as per instructions supplied

Ensure 24v RT is linked
                            Ensure Burner off is linked
                            Ensure Ebus is NOT linked

Wire R8810A1018 to OT terminals on VR33

if you have access to the installer settings I understand that you can check there
                            Last edited by top brake; 5 April 2016, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

Please post as many pictures as you can. I too will document my Opentherm installation for others.

Comment

• jdp80
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Mar 2016

Please post as many pictures as you can. I too will document my Opentherm installation for others.
                                Keen to see how this works out!

Comment

Working...
                                X