X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

I can see the benefits of one unit and doing away with the gateway. It is simpler at the very least but there is another. I am quite happy messing about with electrics, computers, wifi etc. Have wireless light switches throughout the house, wireless controlled timers plus remotely controlled sound system in the house. I know what to do (usually!) if something fails or a reboot is needed of the router etc.

What concerns me is if anything happens to me would my wife? She is not technically minded. Removing the Gateway and have it all in the controller is one less link to worry about. A small issue but for some an important one. Sadly we age, some find things have to be simpler as we do so. The update to the controller is a step in the right direction.

I guess I better write some notes for my wife just in case!

It is an issue we should not forget though as we march toward remotely controlling our homes. Of course I better add it is not just wives, there are husbands who remain ignorant of what is to be done and leave it to their wives. Are there not Mavis?!

Comment

• davidaj
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2015

In practice I don't recall ever touching the gateway since it was first installed, yet the controller I've had to restart or mess with several times. The gateway is hardwired into the mains and router, so generally more reliable than a wi-fi controller. So in some respects, although there are 2 devices, this may be better for the non-technically minded. Also, come the day all control is done via an iOS or Android device instead of needing a bespoke controller, then the gateway is the only hardware you really need.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Having it all in the app makes sense. I rarely ever use the controller. Perhaps a chip implanted under the skin eventually will do the job and we "think" the changes we wish to make!!

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Has anyone else had the controller reset when removing it from the stand? It's happened to me twice now. There's a very brief message on the screen, something about a logic line I think, and then it re-boots.

P.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
            Has anyone else had the controller reset when removing it from the stand? It's happened to me twice now. There's a very brief message on the screen, something about a logic line I think, and then it re-boots.

P.
            Happened to me a couple of times but not in recent months. Mine is on the wall mount and not the stand. The electric contacts with the wall mount are not wonderful and I have to jiggle it a little to ensure contact is made and the battery is kept charged. One of the reasons why I don't often use it but work from the app.

Comment

• Mavis
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
              I can see the benefits of one unit and doing away with the gateway. It is simpler at the very least but there is another. I am quite happy messing about with electrics, computers, wifi etc. Have wireless light switches throughout the house, wireless controlled timers plus remotely controlled sound system in the house. I know what to do (usually!) if something fails or a reboot is needed of the router etc.

What concerns me is if anything happens to me would my wife? She is not technically minded. Removing the Gateway and have it all in the controller is one less link to worry about. A small issue but for some an important one. Sadly we age, some find things have to be simpler as we do so. The update to the controller is a step in the right direction.

I guess I better write some notes for my wife just in case!

It is an issue we should not forget though as we march toward remotely controlling our homes. Of course I better add it is not just wives, there are husbands who remain ignorant of what is to be done and leave it to their wives. Are there not Mavis?!
              Totally agree. I am the techy one and am very similar to what you describe. If something isn't working I get a phone call at work asking me to sort it!! On a serious note I have had to source a couple of old Sonos original controllers (the chunky CR100 ones) so that my husband can use it. I had downloaded the app to his phone but he couldn't cope with it. My 'comms' cupboard is a mass of gateways and hubby would not have a clue but would be too scared to touch anything in there - even under instruction.

My ideal setup though would be to have one large touchscreen panel on the wall which could control everything but with a front screen (similar to the homepage of the Evo controller) that has large symbols for each application (ie lights, heating, music, etc) but would also have the facility to create 'scenes' across all applications.

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
                :

My ideal setup though would be to have one large touchscreen panel on the wall which could control everything but with a front screen (similar to the homepage of the Evo controller) that has large symbols for each application (ie lights, heating, music, etc) but would also have the facility to create 'scenes' across all applications.
                Sounds like Apple Homekit - and controlled from your watch!

Comment

• Mavis
                  Automated Home Ninja
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post

P.
                  This has happened to me a couple of times in the beginning but now I just leave it in the stand and unplug the power lead.

Comment

• Mavis
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                    Sounds like Apple Homekit - and controlled from your watch!

The problem with tech is I always feel that everything is cobbled together as I invest in more. And of course there are all the different protocols to consider. As you all know I just love my tech but when it comes to trying to rationalise it I struggle - I had someone out for a quote to embed cables for my surround system and to distribute my Italian satellite to all TVs in the house. Now ideally I wanted someone who could say well you could do this, this and this or you could do that but instead I feel deflated that I am only going to get exactly what I have suggested to them (if that makes sense).

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Oct 2014

I've had one of these for a few days now and can offer some thoughts...

* Design is somewhat slimmer than the previous version, but not particularly noticeable unless positioned side-by-side. The glossy bezel is nice and looks expensive. It's also more secure and easier to drop onto the mount.

* The screen is still resistive, but brighter with far more contrast. Touch sensitivity feels the same - you'll still need to jab at the little keyboard with a fingernail when setting it up.

* Built in WiFi is great, though I found it had to be close to the router to connect for the first time.

* I've discovered one new quick action, which is called "Auto With Reset". It's only available from an app - and possibly only mine at that - but it makes the device follow the schedule but also removes any overrides set on a zone. For example, my spare rooms are permanently overridden to 12C; this mode would make everything follow the schedule.

[Shameless plug - I have the old controller, gateway, BDR91 and wallmount available in the for sale section]

Comment

• G4RHL
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2015

[QUOTE=Fursty Ferret;23167]I've had one of these for a few days now and can offer some thoughts...

* Design is somewhat slimmer than the previous version, but not particularly noticeable unless positioned side-by-side. The glossy bezel is nice and looks expensive. It's also more secure and easier to drop onto the mount.

Is the mount the same as the original one? i.e. will the new model fit the old mount?

Comment

• erik
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Feb 2015

No, I think they stated earlier they're incompatible.

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Oct 2014

Yep, the new mount is a different size.

Comment

• Gemsec
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Jan 2015

Hi, I have a system that has two EvoHome controllers connected to one system with 19 zones. I have the most used zones, connected to one of the EvoHome controller which is linked to a RFG100 Mobile Access Kit.

Does any one know if, I replace the old EvoHome Controlers with new EvoHome Wifi Controlers would I be able to control all 19 Zones remotely uesing the iPhone app?

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Oct 2014

You can link two controllers to an access point IIRC. Not tried it personally though. Wouldn't this do what you want?

Comment

Working...
                                X