• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inashed
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2017

Smart door bell/viewer

I am looking for a door bell/viewer, something similar to the Ring product but with the following features:

Video stream to HA system via Wifi, or similar for viewing at remote devices and recording
    Ability to trigger external/remote chime (can be wired or wireless)
    Ability to display caller on inside of door (either by viewer direct or WiFi/remote screen)

The Ring product relies on a Cloud subscription to record video but otherwise is close to meeting requirements.

Any suggestions welcome.
  • MichaelD
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2006

Been through this loop recently, then bought a Ring Pro

Interesting that you set out your requirements but didn't specify that you wanted to look at videos of people that rang your doorbell a while ago. I was put off by the £30 per year to watch these old recordings, then realised that I'm really not interested in seeing who I missed. I built that facility years ago using HomeSeer and an IP camera, but looked at it maybe once per year?

So Ring is offering something we don't really need, at an optional £30 per year, but gives us the stuff we really want, like live streaming, remote answer, a remote chime and the ability to speak to the caller from anywhere in the world, at no additional cost. If you'd really wanted to record video, you'd have put it on your requirements

Comment

• inashed
      Automated Home Lurker
      • May 2017

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
      Been through this loop recently, then bought a Ring Pro

Interesting that you set out your requirements but didn't specify that you wanted to look at videos of people that rang your doorbell a while ago. I was put off by the £30 per year to watch these old recordings, then realised that I'm really not interested in seeing who I missed. I built that facility years ago using HomeSeer and an IP camera, but looked at it maybe once per year?

So Ring is offering something we don't really need, at an optional £30 per year, but gives us the stuff we really want, like live streaming, remote answer, a remote chime and the ability to speak to the caller from anywhere in the world, at no additional cost. If you'd really wanted to record video, you'd have put it on your requirements
      What remote chime setup are you using?

Comment

• MichaelD
        Automated Home Guru
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by inashed View Post
        What remote chime setup are you using?
        Just the standard one that came with the UK Ring Prop kit. Maplin and others do additional chimes for £25 if you need more to spread around your home.

Comment

Working...
        X