• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philipW99
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2015

evoHome Configuration

Hi,

First thing to mention is that I'm new here. Second thing is that I'm not a heating engineer. Having said that, with my "simple" heating system, S plan, it looks as if evohome is simple enough to setup. So, I've bought the kit, had a professional wire it into the two motorised zone valves (CH and DHW) and then I started to configure it. I had considerable trouble getting the two BDR91s to bind correctly but once I realised the engineer had wired them into the wrong valve (i.e. BDR91 for CH was wired to DHW and the one for DHW was wired to CH) and then took the great advice from Richard at evohome shop about properly clearing previous binding all seemed to be OK. At this point the setup was CS92 for DHW sensor and the evohome controller itself as the single sensor for CH. The next step was the install of 8 x HR92s which covered almost all the rads. I went through guided configuration on a number of occasions but could never see how any of the HR92s would trigger the boiler/CH valve. In the end what I have ended up with is the controller configured with System Devices>Boiler Demand>Boiler Relay. This does seem to work but the CH BDR91 does switch on with the DHW. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help.
  • roydonaldson
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2013

Yes, that's correct. It's not shown anywhere in the configuration, but is implicit in the setup. So, if you add HR92, then if they need heat demand, then the EvoHome Controller uses the setting in the System Devices>Boiler Demand>Boiler Relay to call for heat for them.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
      Site Sponsor
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by philipW99 View Post
      Hi,

First thing to mention is that I'm new here. Second thing is that I'm not a heating engineer. Having said that, with my "simple" heating system, S plan, it looks as if evohome is simple enough to setup. So, I've bought the kit, had a professional wire it into the two motorised zone valves (CH and DHW) and then I started to configure it. I had considerable trouble getting the two BDR91s to bind correctly but once I realised the engineer had wired them into the wrong valve (i.e. BDR91 for CH was wired to DHW and the one for DHW was wired to CH) and then took the great advice from Richard at evohome shop about properly clearing previous binding all seemed to be OK. At this point the setup was CS92 for DHW sensor and the evohome controller itself as the single sensor for CH. The next step was the install of 8 x HR92s which covered almost all the rads. I went through guided configuration on a number of occasions but could never see how any of the HR92s would trigger the boiler/CH valve. In the end what I have ended up with is the controller configured with System Devices>Boiler Demand>Boiler Relay. This does seem to work but the CH BDR91 does switch on with the DHW. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help.
      Hi Philip,

Sorry but Roy is incorrect - as I said to you previously there is no 'boiler relay' required on an S-Plan set-up.

You need to go back to system devices>boiler demand and select 'none'. Then you need to go to system devices>sundial valves and select 'none'. Then you need to go to system devices>sundial valves and select 'stored hot water'. Bind in the CS92 and select '2 port valves' and bind in the hot water BDR91 and then the heating BDR91.

Remember you will need to 'unbind' the BDR91's first (long press on grey button until you get the 'fast flash' after 15 seconds) and then bind them in with the 5 second press until 'fast flash' changes to a 'slow flash'.

The evohome Controller without the 'boiler relay' knows there is a heating motorised zone valve as you have told it so with the hot water configuration. It will open the heating motorised zone valve every time there is demand on any HR92.

Hope that helps, if you are stuck give me a call tomorrow.

Richard.

Comment

• philipW99
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Apr 2015

Richard, many thanks. I'll give this a try as soon as I can and report back on results.

Comment

• philipW99
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Apr 2015

Ah ha! That seems to work Richard. One observation though; I seem to have lost the ability to configure cycle rates and minimum on times etc. Is that correct? Is it something I should worry about?

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
            Site Sponsor
            • Dec 2014

Good stuff! When you don't have a 'Boiler Relay' in an S or Y Plan configuration this will occur and nothing to worry about.

Comment

• willcurrie
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2015

In this case what would the cycle rate and minimum run times be. While not configurable, I guess that the system will still use TPI and therefore actually cycle demand in a similar way.

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by willcurrie View Post
                In this case what would the cycle rate and minimum run times be. While not configurable, I guess that the system will still use TPI and therefore actually cycle demand in a similar way.
                heating zone valve will open whenever there is a demand from a HR92
                I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• willcurrie
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Apr 2015

I understand that the zone valves will open. I'm interested to know the answer to my question above. If the options for cycle rate and minimum on time are no longer available, what will the actual cycle rate and min run time be. The demand has just been moved from direct bdr control to indirect bdr control via the zone valve.

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by willcurrie View Post
                    I understand that the zone valves will open. I'm interested to know the answer to my question above. If the options for cycle rate and minimum on time are no longer available, what will the actual cycle rate and min run time be. The demand has just been moved from direct bdr control to indirect bdr control via the zone valve.
                    The demand from the HR92s will determine what the cycle and run time time is, the HR92 are proportional controllers therefore the boiler will receive a switched heat demand according the the demand from the HR92 regardless of how many are open and what percentage open. The boiler output will self cycle/modulate down according to the return temperature.

We will share more details about how all this works but this is the reason why I describe the 'Fig 4' installation type as optimal for boilers that need a minimum cycle or run time.
                    Last edited by top brake; 17 April 2015, 06:13 PM.
                    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• willcurrie
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Apr 2015

Thanks for that info, and the quick response. If there is more info to share I would be pleased to see it.

Comment

Working...
                      X