• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • morfsta
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2015

Evohome Temperature Sensor Not Updating Controller

Hi,

First time poster - go easy! :-) I bought a complete Evohome system from The Evohome Shop and fitted it myself a few weeks ago. Not had much chance to check out the 16 zoned radiators at the moment as the heating is still off over summer, however I have been using an S-Plan hot water system with sensor up in the airing cupboard and it has been generally working to control the boiler and heat the cylinder.

Three weeks ago I had two dashes appear on the hot water temperature on the controller which went on to alert on a temperature sensor fault when I went into the hot water menu. So I replaced the supplied batteries in the sensor and had to restart the controller to clear it and I haven't seen that since.

All has been working fine, however over the last week I am finding that the hot water sensor is not updating the controller for quite a long time - well over an hour. This could be the whole period when the hot water is being heated by the boiler and the temperature at the controller does not increase at all, whilst the cylinder gauge has increased by 10-15 degrees. This would clearly be a serious concern if the cylinder was unvented as the boiler relay is still on during this period and would not go off because it is never reaching the maximum temperature.

I have noticed occasional sensor comms faults appearing in the fault log (e.g. 0310 - 0400 this morning) that can occur every few days but never see one during the period when the controller reading is no longer updating. I've tried moving the sensor's physical position around the airing cupboard, particularly away from the cylinder as much as possible but this hasn't made much difference. When doing an RF check, I get 5 red flashes from the sensor and I can hear a beep on the controller downstairs.

I find that when I take the batteries out of the sensor and put them back in that the updates start working again more frequently (not sure how often it is supposed to update but perhaps once every 4 -5 mins?) but then after a day or so it seems to get stuck again...

I have just replaced the batteries again to see if this was the issue, but I wouldn't have thought that the sensor should drain a brand new pair of duracells over 3 weeks!?

Anyone else seen this issue or can shed any light on it, or make further suggestions to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Last edited by morfsta; 14 August 2015, 06:52 PM.
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by morfsta View Post
    Hi,

First time poster - go easy! :-) I bought a complete Evohome system from The Evohome Shop and fitted it myself a few weeks ago. Not had much chance to check out the 16 zoned radiators at the moment as the heating is still off over summer, however I have been using an S-Plan hot water system with sensor up in the airing cupboard and it has been generally working to control the boiler and heat the cylinder.

Three weeks ago I had two dashes appear on the hot water temperature on the controller which went on to alert on a temperature sensor fault when I went into the hot water menu. So I replaced the supplied batteries in the sensor and had to restart the controller to clear it and I haven't seen that since.

All has been working fine, however over the last week I am finding that the hot water sensor is not updating the controller for quite a long time - well over an hour. This could be the whole period when the hot water is being heated by the boiler and the temperature at the controller does not increase at all, whilst the cylinder gauge has increased by 10-15 degrees. This would clearly be a serious concern if the cylinder was unvented as the boiler relay is still on during this period and would not go off because it is never reaching the maximum temperature.

I have noticed occasional sensor comms faults appearing in the fault log (e.g. 0310 - 0400 this morning) that can occur every few days but never see one during the period when the controller reading is no longer updating. I've tried moving the sensor's physical position around the airing cupboard, particularly away from the cylinder as much as possible but this hasn't made much difference. When doing an RF check, I get 5 red flashes from the sensor and I can hear a beep on the controller downstairs.

I find that when I take the batteries out of the sensor and put them back in that the updates start working again more frequently (not sure how often it is supposed to update but perhaps once every 4 -5 mins?) but then after a day or so it seems to get stuck again...

I have just replaced the batteries again to see if this was the issue, but I wouldn't have thought that the sensor should drain a brand new pair of duracells over 3 weeks!?

Anyone else seen this issue or can shed any light on it, or make further suggestions to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    please carry out a signal strength test, also please post a picture of the location of the hot water transceiver

Page 4 and page 5 of the installation guide clearly states BDR91’s and CS92 must be a minimum of 300mm away from each other and anything metallic (this includes your hot water tank and copper pipework)
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• morfsta
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
      please carry out a signal strength test, also please post a picture of the location of the hot water transceiver

Page 4 and page 5 of the installation guide clearly states BDR91’s and CS92 must be a minimum of 300mm away from each other and anything metallic (this includes your hot water tank and copper pipework)
      Thank you for getting back to me.

Yesterday I moved the sensor out of the airing cupboard altogether and I had it is sat on a sideboard in the landing (see attached), well over 30cm from the cylinder and any metal. Last night the temperature reading was stuck for well over 45 minutes and did not decrease after using a lot of hot water. Once again, taking the batteries out of the sensor and putting them back in again seemed to restore more regular refreshes.

With regard to the comms signal test, are the instructions correct on page 35 of the manual? When I hold the button for 5 seconds it goes into binding mode and does not show a green light as the instructions state.

However, when I press the button quickly for one second, it then repeatedly flashes red 5 times.
      Attached Files

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Thank you for getting back to me.

Yesterday I moved the sensor out of the airing cupboard altogether and I had it is sat on a sideboard in the landing (see attached), well over 30cm from the cylinder and any metal. Last night the temperature reading was stuck for well over 45 minutes and did not decrease after using a lot of hot water. Once again, taking the batteries out of the sensor and putting them back in again seemed to restore more regular refreshes.

With regard to the comms signal test, are the instructions correct on page 35 of the manual? When I hold the button for 5 seconds it goes into binding mode and does not show a green light as the instructions state.

However, when I press the button quickly for one second, it then repeatedly flashes red 5 times.
        5 flashes is max signal strength

where was it in the cylinder cupboard?

Comment

• morfsta
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jul 2015

5 flashes is max signal strength

where was it in the cylinder cupboard?
          It was on the side wall, as far away from the cylinder as I could get it given the space available - though it was probably under 30cm.

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

It was on the side wall, as far away from the cylinder as I could get it given the space available - though it was probably under 30cm.
            it needs to be at least 300mm

Comment

• morfsta
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jul 2015

it needs to be at least 300mm
              I appreciate that, but the problem is still occurring when the sensor is over 300mm from the cylinder - as shown in the picture.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                Site Sponsor
                • Dec 2014

Hi,

Cheers
                Any reason you haven't contacted me for a chat? I am thinking the system isn't bound correctly, but maybe give me a call to talk through some things?

Thanks,

Richard

Comment

• jknotten
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Sep 2015

Did you have any success in fixing this issue?

Comment

• morfsta
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by jknotten View Post
                    Did you have any success in fixing this issue?
                    Not as yet - I have spoken to Richard and he suggested re-binding them and gave some tips for ensuring a quality signal during that process, however once again the update frequency seems to have dropped off and yesterday the reported temperature was stuck on 10 degrees over the actual temp (reported by an analogue gauge and my solar digital readings) for around 50 minutes. I have even moved the controller upstairs and it is only about 3-4m away from the sensor (which is still outside of the cupboard and away from any metal) and no improvements. When the sensor is powercycled by removing the batteries I get accurate updates regularly (approx. every 4 or 5 minutes) however over time (12-24h) this seems to reduce dramatically.

Are you seeing the same issue?

Comment

• jknotten
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Sep 2015

Not as yet - I have spoken to Richard and he suggested re-binding them and gave some tips for ensuring a quality signal during that process, however once again the update frequency seems to have dropped off and yesterday the reported temperature was stuck on 10 degrees over the actual temp (reported by an analogue gauge and my solar digital readings) for around 50 minutes. I have even moved the controller upstairs and it is only about 3-4m away from the sensor (which is still outside of the cupboard and away from any metal) and no improvements. When the sensor is powercycled by removing the batteries I get accurate updates regularly (approx. every 4 or 5 minutes) however over time (12-24h) this seems to reduce dramatically.

Are you seeing the same issue?
                      Yes, I think so. It does not happen often -- I've had about 3 or 4 hot water sensor faults with the last two about 4 days apart. Richard suggested to do the rebinding after removing batteries from the evohome controller itself, which I haven't done yet.

I have done a signal strength test on the sensor and it's 5/5.

Comment

• morfsta
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Jul 2015

This sounds very similar to my own symptoms, which still haven't been rectified.

A question to the staff at Honeywell or Richard, does the sensor decrease the power of its update transmissions over time - perhaps as an energy saving measure? Could this explain why updates come through regularly after a battery cycle and then seem to deteriorate over time?

Some further assistance or support on this matter would be appreciated or should we both formally open a support call elsewhere at this point?

Thanks & Regards

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

This sounds very similar to my own symptoms, which still haven't been rectified.

A question to the staff at Honeywell or Richard, does the sensor decrease the power of its update transmissions over time - perhaps as an energy saving measure? Could this explain why updates come through regularly after a battery cycle and then seem to deteriorate over time?

I have my doubts. My system was installed December last year and the speed with which reports back from the sensor occur has not deteriorated. It is fairly quick. I do get the occasional odd fault report in the log saying there has been a comms fault but it is always at odd times, times when the hot water system is not on or due to come on so I would not expect there to be any communication between the sensor and the system. For some reason the system wants to have a chat with its devices when I don't want it to.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                            Site Sponsor
                            • Dec 2014

Sorry, I have only just seen the posts. Have you tried replacing the batteries in the CS92 with some fresh ones? Just an idea before taking it further.

Comment

• morfsta
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                              I have my doubts. My system was installed December last year and the speed with which reports back from the sensor occur has not deteriorated. It is fairly quick. I do get the occasional odd fault report in the log saying there has been a comms fault but it is always at odd times, times when the hot water system is not on or due to come on so I would not expect there to be any communication between the sensor and the system. For some reason the system wants to have a chat with its devices when I don't want it to.
                              Thanks for letting us know that G4rhl. I appreciate it can be difficult to tell sometimes but approx how often do you see updates, every 4 minutes?

I too had a water sensor comms fault error this morning for 1 hour, the strange thing was that the sensor (still outside of airing cupboard over 1m from cylinder) and the controller (moved up to landing) were only about 3m apart!

Comment

Working...
                              X