• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Midori
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2015

Evohome Fault Logs showing up frequently

Any idea of what is happening amd causes of following fault logs which started like this in Feb 2016?

untitled-00469.jpg
    and
    untitled-00470.jpg

Is it something to do with IP link to Total Connect Comfort that I need no worry about, or some local issues to be addressed?
    Assoc IHVE; Matthew Hall Satchwell MW Kellogg CompAir; posts are personal and my own view
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

Have you checked the batteries? When my batteries are on the way out I get 2 fault errors and then 2 restore errors for the affected HR92. It can go on for a few months before eventually if the batteries aren't changed, the whole system may crash.

Comment

• Midori
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
      Have you checked the batteries? When my batteries are on the way out I get 2 fault errors and then 2 restore errors for the affected HR92. It can go on for a few months before eventually if the batteries aren't changed, the whole system may crash.
      I checked voltages before posting Logs: Wall Charger Bracket was supplying 4.2 v on the slider contacts, Evohome rechargeable cells were both at 1.29 v (no load basis). Since the rechargeables are stamped 1.2v. I presume there is no reason to replace chargeable cells or make a warranty claim. Perhaps Honeywell would comment on adequacy of 1.29 volts on the rechargeables ?!
      Assoc IHVE; Matthew Hall Satchwell MW Kellogg CompAir; posts are personal and my own view

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Midori View Post
        Any idea of what is happening amd causes of following fault logs which started like this in Feb 2016?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]698[/ATTACH]
        and
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]699[/ATTACH]

Is it something to do with IP link to Total Connect Comfort that I need no worry about, or some local issues to be addressed?
        This is intermittent loss of communications between evohome and devices in the home. Check for signal strength and sources of interference. If issues continue please contact your installer or Honeywell support
        I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

I checked voltages before posting Logs: Wall Charger Bracket was supplying 4.2 v on the slider contacts, Evohome rechargeable cells were both at 1.29 v (no load basis). Since the rechargeables are stamped 1.2v. I presume there is no reason to replace chargeable cells or make a warranty claim. Perhaps Honeywell would comment on adequacy of 1.29 volts on the rechargeables ?!
          I think Mavis is referring to the batteries in the HR92's and/or wall stats, not the controller itself. The controller batteries would only cause an issue while the unit was off the charger.

Have you been around all the devices mentioned by the fault log and checked their battery status ?

NiMH cells have a lower voltage than typical non-rechargeables like Alkaline or Lithium. 1.29v is fine.

A fully charged cell supplies an average 1.25 V/cell during discharge, declining to about 1.0–1.1 V/cell (further discharge may cause permanent damage in the case of multi-cell packs, due to polarity reversal). Under a light load (0.5 ampere), the starting voltage of a freshly charged AA NiMH cell in good condition is about 1.4 volts.[20]
          Last edited by DBMandrake; 13 March 2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• top brake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Feb 2015

Remember to edit the HR92 installer settings if you're fitting Lithium or nimh cells

Comment

• Midori
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
              This is intermittent loss of communications between evohome and devices in the home. Check for signal strength and sources of interference. If issues continue please contact your installer or Honeywell support
              Testing signals, one showed up as "good", all others showed as "excellent". I have no way to test RF interference from other sources, but there has been no additional products introduced in the property and neighbours are detached. I do not have HR92's, simply three 2-way zone valves. All batteries were replaced in sensors mid Nov 2015 with Duracell Plus Power, ie 4 months back. I will do check on the Duracells only if the logs reappear - why not now? Because I want to check if this is similar to a former thread in which I reported as follows:-

"The Fault Log shows "Mains Low" although there was no power cut or brownout. The log entries occured when the Evocontroller was removed and replaced on the wall PSU. Wall PSU is only 4.16 volt, however I am advised this should not be an issue. The batteries were fully charged at the time so perhaps a capacitor blip somewhere. The Fault Log shows "Comms Faults" on both heating zones (2), but only one was red flagged."

So please, let's see what the next couple of weeks reveal.

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

Testing signals, one showed up as "good", all others showed as "excellent". I have no way to test RF interference from other sources, but there has been no additional products introduced in the property and neighbours are detached. I do not have HR92's, simply three 2-way zone valves. All batteries were replaced in sensors mid Nov 2015 with Duracell Plus Power, ie 4 months back. I will do check on the Duracells only if the logs reappear - why not now? Because I want to check if this is similar to a former thread in which I reported as follows:-

"The Fault Log shows "Mains Low" although there was no power cut or brownout. The log entries occured when the Evocontroller was removed and replaced on the wall PSU. Wall PSU is only 4.16 volt, however I am advised this should not be an issue. The batteries were fully charged at the time so perhaps a capacitor blip somewhere. The Fault Log shows "Comms Faults" on both heating zones (2), but only one was red flagged."

So please, let's see what the next couple of weeks reveal.

please have a look at this

Comment

• Midori
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Aug 2015

Yes, I read this before installation and since commissioning in May 2015 (and thanks to Ramses II) the kit has worked continuously. Walls are brick/breeze block and no foil lined plasterboard anywhere. The only area of non compliance is concerning this clause:-

"If you are mounting a pair of Honeywell products together, allow at least 1 metre gap between the two to avoid signal saturation"

I got only 30 cms between each of three BRD relays.

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

Yes, I read this before installation and since commissioning in May 2015 (and thanks to Ramses II) the kit has worked continuously. Walls are brick/breeze block and no foil lined plasterboard anywhere. The only area of non compliance is concerning this clause:-

"If you are mounting a pair of Honeywell products together, allow at least 1 metre gap between the two to avoid signal saturation"

I got only 30 cms between each of three BRD relays.
                    Can you share some pictures please

Comment

• Midori
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Aug 2015

Can you share some pictures please
                      Of me, the wife, or where it says put 1 metre gap between two Honeywell products?

Comment

• top brake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Feb 2015

Of me, the wife, or where it says put 1 metre gap between two Honeywell products?

Comment

• Midori
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Aug 2015

Conclusion:
                          I carried out further tests over a 4 week period in order to draw conclusions. Finally, in my view the cause of all my spurious faults was related to OEM battery compartment design and also physical dimensions of EvoHome's selected OEM battery manufacturer.

Summary of history:-
                          Former fault logs had indicated a spurious loss of mains power, and also several comms errors between evohome and BRD relays. (to repeat, I do not have HR92's)
                          On occasions battery voltage was lower than normal, and off wall-charger running period very low.
                          Sometimes when removing evohome from wall charger screen would blank.
                          The slightest finger pressure, or revolving of batteries in situ, sometimes initiated a blank screen.

Tests:-
                          OEM batteries in Evohome were replaced with Duracell DX1500 NiMH cells because of suspected dimensional problems.
                          Durecells dimensions were compared with OEM cells.
                          Evohome battery contact spring investigated and was serviced.
                          Faults logged over 4 week period were zero.

The photo below shows what I consider to be the cause of all issues.

Battery physical dimensions reveal a difference of approx 1.0mm between height of Duracell, and OEM, cell positive cap. With 2 cells inline this difference is doubled to around 2.0 mm
                          Evohome +battery spring was compressed, and discoloured because of battery venting. The spring was not applying pressure to the positive battery cap.
                          Evohome battery compartment end barrier will not allow battery cylinder to spring forward adequately.

Evohome-00497.jpg

Cleaning of the Evohome +positive spring and gently uncompressing it using the tip of sharp pointed knife, in conjunction with greater positive cap height of alternative batteries has caused the issues to be disappear fully. I do not suggest 'Duracell' batteries are neccessary. Duracells were to hand and had better +positive end cap dimensions. OEM batteries have noticably different venting seal design which may have been a contributing issue but cannot be verified over test period. I am also happy to highlight that other than reported from the beginning, there has never been any underlying wireless comms faults or weaknesses surrounding the whole installation.
                          Last edited by Midori; 15 April 2016, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• top brake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Feb 2015

Conclusion:
                            I carried out further tests over a 4 week period in order to draw conclusions. Finally, in my view the cause of all my spurious faults was related to OEM battery compartment design and also physical dimensions of EvoHome's selected OEM battery manufacturer.

Summary of history:-
                            Former fault logs had indicated a spurious loss of mains power, and also several comms errors between evohome and BRD relays. (to repeat, I do not have HR92's)
                            On occasions battery voltage was lower than normal, and off wall-charger running period very low.
                            Sometimes when removing evohome from wall charger screen would blank.
                            The slightest finger pressure, or revolving of batteries in situ, sometimes initiated a blank screen.

Tests:-
                            OEM batteries in Evohome were replaced with Duracell DX1500 NiMH cells because of suspected dimensional problems.
                            Durecells dimensions were compared with OEM cells.
                            Evohome battery contact spring investigated and was serviced.
                            Faults logged over 4 week period were zero.

Battery physical dimensions reveal a difference of approx 1.0mm between height of Duracell, and OEM, cell positive cap. With 2 cells inline this difference is doubled to around 2.0 mm
                            Evohome +battery spring was compressed, and discoloured because of battery venting. The spring was not applying pressure to the positive battery cap.
                            Evohome battery compartment end barrier will not allow battery cylinder to spring forward adequately.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]768[/ATTACH]

Cleaning of the Evohome +positive spring and gently uncompressing it using the tip of sharp pointed knife, in conjunction with greater positive cap height of alternative batteries has caused the issues to be disappear fully. I do not suggest 'Duracell' batteries are neccessary. Duracells were to hand and had better +positive end cap dimensions. OEM batteries have noticably different venting seal design which may have been a contributing issue but cannot be verified over test period. I am also happy to highlight that other than reported from the beginning, there has never been any underlying wireless comms faults or weaknesses surrounding the whole installation.
                            Great feedback that has been passed to Honeywell factory. Thanks

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

Conclusion:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]768[/ATTACH]

Cleaning of the Evohome +positive spring and gently uncompressing it using the tip of sharp pointed knife, in conjunction with greater positive cap height of alternative batteries has caused the issues to be disappear fully.
                              I have not seen any of the symptoms described here however I checked the battery contacts on mine (the unit is 6 months old) and see exactly the same corrosion of the spring contact and what looks like battery venting: (On the bottom battery in the picture, which was the one against the spring)

I cleaned up the battery spring with a craft knife and a little bit of emery paper as best I could and also tried to stretch it out slightly:

I don't have any other suitable NiMH batteries to fit at the moment so in the meantime I swapped them around so that the one that is suspected of venting is now in the rear end facing into the other battery instead of facing the terminal. It seems to be working fine but I think for peace of mind I'll buy a couple of high quality NiMH cells to replace these ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X