• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • f1arp72
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2015

Evohome Single Zone Not Working

Hi everyone. So winter is coming around again, and so starts all the issues with the heating !! (

Got an odd one here. I have a single zone that doesn't seem to be firing up the boiler. My set up is 8 zones in the house (1 for each rad). With all the other 7, if I request a higher room temperature than it currently is in that room, the valve opens, the boiler fires up and it all works.

However, with the Conservatory, the HR92 responds, opens the valve on the radiator but the boiler never fires up and so the rad never gets hot. It used to work, but I noticed it stopped at the end of last year but would hope it would go away before the winter this year. lol

I've deleted the Zone from the controller, reset the HR92, set the zone up again and rebound the HR92 but exactly the same thing ??!!!

Does anyone have any ideas. Am I correct that it's the controller that's bound to the BDR91 Relay as setting up the HR92 and binding it, it doesn't ask about the Relay. Just makes it more odd, that if the other zones are working, I know the controller is talking to BDR92 ok, so what is going on with this radiator ??

Any help would very much be appreciated, as I really do not want to have to reset the entire system and start from scratch. I had enough issues with it when I first set it up and don't want to go through that again !!
  • g6ejd
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2016

I would do this:
    1. Undertake a RF Check at the HR92 in your conservatory and ensure you are getting 3-bars or more, if 1 or 2 assume marginal RF performance and low reliability of RF link.
    2. Check the batteries, Honeywell estimate a 2-year life, but it must depend on TRV workload, so if in an environment with many temperature changes (like a conservatory) it is possible they are depleted.
    3. Remove the HR92 and bring it nearer the Controller and demand heat manually as it sounds like a range issue, if so new batteries must be the next step.
    4. Exchange the HR92 with a known working one and see if the problem follows it, if so suspect a fault or try a reset.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by f1arp72 View Post
      I've deleted the Zone from the controller, reset the HR92, set the zone up again and rebound the HR92 but exactly the same thing ??!!!
      Describe the steps you took to "reset" the HR92 ? Did you clear the binding on the HR92 ?

This is done by doing a short press followed by a long press until BIND appears, then doing a long press until it says cleared. The "full reset" option in the main HR92 menu does not clear the binding. Neither does removing the batteries.

Comment

• f1arp72
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by g6ejd View Post
        I would do this:
        1. Undertake a RF Check at the HR92 in your conservatory and ensure you are getting 3-bars or more, if 1 or 2 assume marginal RF performance and low reliability of RF link.
        2. Check the batteries, Honeywell estimate a 2-year life, but it must depend on TRV workload, so if in an environment with many temperature changes (like a conservatory) it is possible they are depleted.
        3. Remove the HR92 and bring it nearer the Controller and demand heat manually as it sounds like a range issue, if so new batteries must be the next step.
        4. Exchange the HR92 with a known working one and see if the problem follows it, if so suspect a fault or try a reset.
        Hi. Thanks for the reply. Ok ...

1. RF check at HR92 in conservatory is 5 bars
        2. Batteries have been changed.
        3. Replacing the HR92 in the hallway (6 ft from controller) with the one from the conservatory seemed to work !!
        4. Not tried this yet seeing as 3 above seemed to have an effect.

My question is, does the HR92 need to "talk" to the BDR91 Relay to actually call for heat, or does the HR92 talk to the Controller, then the controller speaks to the BDR91 Relay to call for the heat. Would like to know this for sure for peace of mind.

If it's the former, this may be the issue?? Could be the fact that the HR92 can talk to the Controller with 5 bars, but for some reason when it then needs to talk to the BDR91 Relay to call for heat it can't "see it". It was my understanding though that HR92s only communicate with the Controller as it's the controller that's bound to the BDR91 Relay.

Oddly enough, since moving it back to the conservatory, it seems to be working, although before I moved it to hallway it didn't appear to be functioning correctly. I wonder if I have some kind if intermittent fault with the HR92 ??

Comment

• f1arp72
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
          Describe the steps you took to "reset" the HR92 ? Did you clear the binding on the HR92 ?

This is done by doing a short press followed by a long press until BIND appears, then doing a long press until it says cleared. The "full reset" option in the main HR92 menu does not clear the binding. Neither does removing the batteries.
          Hi,

Thanks, yes I did a short, then long press. The HR92 had "Unbound" on display after I did that, then I bound it to new zone I'd set up again.

However, you're comment about "Full Reset" is interesting, as to me, it doesn't appear to do a damn thing ??? Am I meant to see anything happen when I select "Full Reset" ??!!!!

Comment

• g6ejd
            Automated Home Guru
            • Oct 2016

The HR92 is bound to the controller as is the BDR91 on that basis the controller is the hub and the HR92 demands heat from the controller that then demands heat via the BDR91, there is no direct HR92 to BDR91 communication.

Exchanging and rebinding the HR92's seems like the best diagnostic test to undertake to see if the problem follows the unit.

Comment

• g6ejd
              Automated Home Guru
              • Oct 2016

Was your reset following this sequence: Follow the process for binding but hold button down on binding for 15 secs - this is a hard reset.

Comment

• gcpeters
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Oct 2016

I have EXACTLY the same problem!! Did you manage to get find a resolution? I have started a thread on the issue

GP

Comment

• f1arp72
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by gcpeters View Post
                  I have EXACTLY the same problem!! Did you manage to get find a resolution? I have started a thread on the issue

GP
                  Sorry everyone, not had a chance to visit forum for a while. No, I'm afraid I've never found a solution to this. I seem to have very random results and as of this moment, I've asked for heat in the conservatory and it's worked, but other days, it simply doesn't. The HR92 gets the request, opens the valve but the boiler never fires up.

The last thing I tried has totally baffled me to the point I've given up. The rad in hallway always worked fine, but the one in the conservatory is the problematic one. So, I simply swapped the valves over, and renamed the zones (Schedule was the same anyway). Now, that initially worked, then next day, I asked for heat in conservatory and nothing. Valve opened, but the boiler doesn't fire. I leave it 10 mins, then ask for heat in Hallway (which used to be HR92 in conservatory which was problematic) and it worked fine and hallway has worked fine ever since.

So, nothing wrong with HR92s. They both work in hallway, but not in conservatory. This leads me to believe there's some 2 way communication error, even though I get 5 bars when testing signal and the HR92 opens and closes as expected. It's simple the fact that the boiler doesn't fire up "sometimes" when asking for heat in conservatory.

I wish for the days when heating was a simple affair with just a single thermostat !!

I've never been confident with this system and have always regretted spending the money installing it. I get temperature overshoots, it cuts my boiler out (never used to do that), I have this issue of not firing boiler from one location, and also the optimum stop setting stops so early, the temperature drop 2 degrees below target temperature before the schedule changes. Just unlucky I guess.

Comment

• g6ejd
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Oct 2016

I would wait for the problem to occur then unclip the HR92 and move it closer to the Controller and simulate a demand for heat by turning the top of the HR92 and if that works then turn it down and confirm that works takes a while. It does sound like a communication error to me. It's a fact that UHF RF is affected by air pressure, density, humidity to name a few environmental affects so for me of no surprise there is variability but only when the signal is marginal or something is in the way one day but not the next. To simulate this at 70cms or 440MHz I can hold my transceiver in one place and it receives the Amateur Radio repeater in Bath with a high signal strength, then move it 35cms and there is no signal, so at HR92 frequencies of 868Mhz half those distances and you see what's called standing waves or freznnel zones can be a real issue. My informed guess is something is diffferent in the house between working and not working; been raining; metal framed door open, usually closed; washing hanging around; clothes hangers around (seriously); pressure up; coincidentally we currently have high pressure over us in the South. It does not solve your problem but look out for something changing as to the clues to a solution.

Comment

• f1arp72
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Apr 2015

I would wait for the problem to occur then unclip the HR92 and move it closer to the Controller and simulate a demand for heat by turning the top of the HR92 and if that works then turn it down and confirm that works takes a while. It does sound like a communication error to me. It's a fact that UHF RF is affected by air pressure, density, humidity to name a few environmental affects so for me of no surprise there is variability but only when the signal is marginal or something is in the way one day but not the next. To simulate this at 70cms or 440MHz I can hold my transceiver in one place and it receives the Amateur Radio repeater in Bath with a high signal strength, then move it 35cms and there is no signal, so at HR92 frequencies of 868Mhz half those distances and you see what's called standing waves or freznnel zones can be a real issue. My informed guess is something is diffferent in the house between working and not working; been raining; metal framed door open, usually closed; washing hanging around; clothes hangers around (seriously); pressure up; coincidentally we currently have high pressure over us in the South. It does not solve your problem but look out for something changing as to the clues to a solution.
                      Thanks, I'll try to see if I can spot any consistent changes to conditions etc but this HR92 almost has line of sight to the controller, only 9m with an archway and a constantly open door between them !!

Just to check though, I didn't think the HR92 worked if in the unclipped position ??? And if you take of and lock it again, it just constantly tries to close the valve which of course it isn't attached to ??!

Comment

• g6ejd
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Oct 2016

Seems to be ok doing that, I had my system running on the desktop for a few days with no obvious adverse effects from turning them up and down to watch the system working.

Comment

• f1arp72
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Apr 2015

More worryingly, I think I may have found why my boiler keeps cutting out and is related to this issue I think. Basically, as I posted earlier, tonight was one of the rare occasions that the boiler did fire up when asking for heat in conservatory. However, once I warmed up, I cancelled the override. As usual, the HR92 responded, but then the "two way communication failed" ?? so the boiler wasn't told to switch off. Therefore, will all valves closed, the boiler was still running, obviously sending water via the bypass valve but that soon heated up and my boiler cut out and started flashing red which happens to me randomly every few days. Having just watched it happen though, I'm convinced these two events are related. It would again explain why it never cuts out hen on hot water only.

This is putting me squarely in the "this system is never going to work for me" camp. Not sure I have much option than to remove it. problem is, there are hardly any plumbers that seem t have knowledge of Evohome and it appears I need an expert to help me resolve this issue. I feel very deflated as this system cost me a fortune.

Comment

• f1arp72
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Apr 2015

Seems to be ok doing that, I had my system running on the desktop for a few days with no obvious adverse effects from turning them up and down to watch the system working.
                            What, leaving it in the unlocked position ? If it's unlocked on a desk, it's doesn't do the cycled and set the valve closed. I'll give it a try, but pretty sure when I had mine unlocked off the Rad, it didn't do anything but maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

• g6ejd
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Oct 2016

Sorry I meant locked but not on the valve. Mine seem to be ok after their experience of doing this.

Comment

Working...
                              X