Page 84 of 88 FirstFirst ... 347479808182838485868788 LastLast

Thread: Evohome firmware 02.00.19.31 Beta Trial - Exclusive for Automated Home Members

Automated Home Jr Member

I presume that information relating to configuration should remain on the controller and not be in the app - potentially for security reasons. The app should remain for the user rather than the installer in my opinion. Users shouldn’t need to bother themselves with details of what’s going on behind the scenes..

However, it does concern me that Evohome is being left behind - the controller looks old fashioned compared with its competitors, and the app is somewhat lacking in terms of basic aesthetics - the iPad has been around for 11 years yet the app still appears fixed in portrait mode as a small rectangle in the centre of the screen. Very annoying, and in most cases I delete iPad apps that have been neglected that much.

Having read about the incompatibility of the Lyric T6 with evohome due to evohome not using encrypted communication protocols, I assumed that Honeywell would be working on a modern version of evohome, with encrypted compatible communication, HomeKit support, modern aesthetics. When Apple launched the iPhone in 2007 with a highly responsive capacitative touch screen ever since then it has made devices with resistive touch screens seem old fashioned.

Seeing how long this firmware update is taking to release it concerns me that Honeywell aren’t agile enough to keep up with newer competitors in the market such as Nest. Whilst I fully support the idea of a heating system being a long term investment, and for firmware to be thoroughly tested, the rate of progress with evohome is so slow that I suspect they will fail to get the market share they should be looking for by making it look like a neglected product even compared with their own Lyric T6. Honeywell should really be making the most of increased awareness of climate change and the need for energy efficiency but it seems that they’re not.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbomacuser View Post
    I presume that information relating to configuration should remain on the controller and not be in the app - potentially for security reasons. The app should remain for the user rather than the installer in my opinion. Users shouldn’t need to bother themselves with details of what’s going on behind the scenes..
    I look on the system information as user information. Useful information to have if something seems wrong.

As for your other I agree. Sentiments I have expressed for a long time. I am sure we were lead to believe an updated app may be around the corner but .....

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    As for your other I agree. Sentiments I have expressed for a long time. I am sure we were lead to believe an updated app may be around the corner but .....
    After being told by ally53 that responsibility for roll out is with the "connected team" which will initially be released "to a small percentage of the Evo population", I emailed the Resideo Connected Team yesterday to ask if they would indicate when approximately this release might take place.

I will just remind everyone the original post from Rameses was put out on 1st April 2020 - April Fools' Day!

Let's hope not?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by killa47 View Post
    After being told by ally53 that responsibility for roll out is with the "connected team" which will initially be released "to a small percentage of the Evo population", I emailed the Resideo Connected Team yesterday to ask if they would indicate when approximately this release might take place.

I will just remind everyone the original post from Rameses was put out on 1st April 2020 - April Fools' Day!

Let's hope not?
    Do you expect a reply

Automated Home Guru

Making cosmetic changes to the app would require development effort for no gain in functionality. Adding functionality would require significant additional resources, including at the server end. Who is going to pay the ongoing costs for that? At the moment the app is free and does what is necessary to control my heating if you want more functionality and resources, you may have to accept paying a regular subscription. Adding more functions at the server end would also encourage more dependance on external resources to keep the heating functioning properly. My vote is for KISS and not increase cost and reliance on external resorces.

Updating the communications protocols would probably require replacing the Evotouch and definitely replacing all the other devices because there is no way to update their firmware, even if the hardware could support it. This would require a complete replacement of the EvoHome system. I accept that eventually EvoHome will be abandoned or replaced, especially when the Government gets its way and we all ditch gas boilers but, for purely selfish reasons, I would rather Resideo continue to support my existing hardware for a few more years.

Automated Home Legend

Honeywell have been behind electric control systems for decades and well respected for that. I can’t see converting Evohome to work on an all electric system would be a big issue for them. Considering the work they do with control systems in aeroplanes and elsewhere doing it with Evohome to them would be a job for the apprentice. They already will be the designers behind existing electric heating control systems. I am sure also adding a line of code to send and pick up additional information from the Control Panel is not a big issue for them either. I think the issue is more they are not customer focussed, or used to being so, hence presumably setting up Resideo. There is also the mantra “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” And I have to bear that in mind as my system has worked well for the last 6.5 years.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Do you expect a reply
    Well at least I got the automatic acknowledgement email so I shall live in hope!

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
    I accept that eventually EvoHome will be abandoned or replaced, especially when the Government gets its way and we all ditch gas boilers but, for purely selfish reasons, I would rather Resideo continue to support my existing hardware for a few more years.
    Heat Pumps are supported by the latest firmware and new BDR91T

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsmart View Post
    Heat Pumps are supported by the latest firmware and new BDR91T
    Indeed. There is no reason for Evohome not to evolve as different systems are brought in. It has done to an extent - OpenTherm, heat pump support etc.

Two comments from good friends of mine. Both now retired. One says he dealt with Honeywell working as an electrical engineer in the industrial sector and found them good to deal with and respond. In later years in his retirement he has used them for his alarm and heating controls and found the customer support quite the opposite of what he experienced in the industrial sector. The other worked for Honeywell all his life. He confirmed in his experience Honeywell’s focus on support for industry as opposed to the domestic end user was obviously greater.

Little changes to the control panel to change the touch control from plodding in mud to instant (although that would mean a new Panel!), having more custom menus or the ability to edit what is there more fully without having to accept what are barely changeable defaults would help. Refresh the appearance of the app to make it more “competitive” with what is out there.

These are simple things for the average consumer but they are important for his or her’s “experience”. I have looked at other products but not seen anything better. Apart that is from the points just raised. To the end user though they are important. A car may be the best thing since sliced bread but if it don’t look nice it won’t sell. Even if it is miles ahead of any competition. I repeat myself. Said all this before as have many others.

Automated Home Guru

I realise that I am unusual, on this forum, in not being a fan of fancy graphics and interesting, but nonessential, bells and whistles. Smart home enthusiast are a majority on forums, but I suspect a minority of homeowners. I agree that a lot of consumer choice is driven by how things look as much as how they perform but I think Resideo see trade and industry as their customer, so will be driven by their feedback and the Resideo marketing department.

I suspect that there are not that many end users who install EvoHome and there are not many central heating installers who would relish supporting their customers in how to graph and interpret performance, set up IFTTT, etc.

I do not have any experience of whole house heat pump system, so cannot comment on how appropriate EvoHome is as for their control. I have also seen some reports of people supplementing them with radiant panels for comfort at lower temperatures. I would think that the move away from gas CH will justify a ground up redesign eventually. EvoHome-NG maybe?